domenica 24 gennaio 2016

LEMTRADA - a new horizon
Almost an year ago I had to quit Tysabri because of the great PML risk. I had 60 infusions although I was positive since the beggining but I struggled to have that wonderful cure. In the end, after more than 5 years of infusions and 3 years with 1 in 265 risk for PML I decided I should stop. I had a 3 months wash-out period and than I tried TECFIDERA, another MS treatment, in pills. I have to say that i didn't work, from september to december I had 3 relapses and lots and lots of cortison. In one of those nasty moments I had to use a crutch in order to walk and it wasn't easy at all. In the end my neurologists decided I should have Lemtrada, the new monoclonal treatment for MS. The scientifi name is ALEMTUZUMAB and it has been used for the treatment of leukemia but now, after they modificated the concentration and the lenght of the treatment period it had been finally approved for MS.It is also an infusion and it is quite different from Tysabri. The treatment has a 2 years period divided in 5 consecutive days the first year and 3 consecutive days the second year and its benefits should last for 5 years. It has great risks and complications even long after the infusions but it has no PML risk. For now, is the new best thing.
It has been a month since I had the infusions and I am fine, no complications for now. I will be back with more informations about Lemtrada and how it works since then, enjoy the moment and live well.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento